Terrorism hits close to home...
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/07/11/mumbai.blasts/index.html
So, apparently some assholes decided to bomb seven lof the local trains today, about 2 hours ago. Not sure why. Although none of us were hurt, we are living just 3 blocks off of the local railway line, where all of the blasts occurred. Kind of crazy.
Just two days ago there were some riots initiated by one of the political parties not in power right now in response to someone throwing mud on a statue of their leader's wife. Or something equally ridiculous. As a result, all of the stores had to close or else an angry mob would throw rocks through their windows. Fortunateley I was in the safety of Sanjay Ghandi National Park, enjoying the only wilderness that Mumbai has to offer, along with acres of ancient caves, greenery and wild monkeys.
Prior to all of this ridiculousness, I'd had a few pretty luxurious days. Thursday night I had a great Italian dinner and went for a walk along Juhu beach, Friday evening I got a hot-oil Ayurveydic Massage, Saturday night I went off in search of a "disc" (dance club) but found out too late that my flip-flops didn't meet the dress code, so Anu and I settled for a hot-fudge sunday next door, and finally Sunday was spent at the park. I actually went alone since everyone else had work to do. During my trip, I met a few locals who were more amused by me than by the park, so I hung out with them, and later went back to their place for a home cooked meal. They asked so many questions about life in America, my views on assorted topics, and generally enough questions to thoroughly exhaust me by the time I left.
All in all, the past few days have been good. pics are soon to come!
So, apparently some assholes decided to bomb seven lof the local trains today, about 2 hours ago. Not sure why. Although none of us were hurt, we are living just 3 blocks off of the local railway line, where all of the blasts occurred. Kind of crazy.
Just two days ago there were some riots initiated by one of the political parties not in power right now in response to someone throwing mud on a statue of their leader's wife. Or something equally ridiculous. As a result, all of the stores had to close or else an angry mob would throw rocks through their windows. Fortunateley I was in the safety of Sanjay Ghandi National Park, enjoying the only wilderness that Mumbai has to offer, along with acres of ancient caves, greenery and wild monkeys.
Prior to all of this ridiculousness, I'd had a few pretty luxurious days. Thursday night I had a great Italian dinner and went for a walk along Juhu beach, Friday evening I got a hot-oil Ayurveydic Massage, Saturday night I went off in search of a "disc" (dance club) but found out too late that my flip-flops didn't meet the dress code, so Anu and I settled for a hot-fudge sunday next door, and finally Sunday was spent at the park. I actually went alone since everyone else had work to do. During my trip, I met a few locals who were more amused by me than by the park, so I hung out with them, and later went back to their place for a home cooked meal. They asked so many questions about life in America, my views on assorted topics, and generally enough questions to thoroughly exhaust me by the time I left.
All in all, the past few days have been good. pics are soon to come!

1 Comments:
Hi Adam! This is Hana... I've been reading your blog and been frustrated because it wouldn't let me comment unless I got my own account. And that turned out to be every bit as difficult as I imagined; this site is a maze. Ah well. Anyways, I finally figured some of it out in order to tell you-- I'm so glad that you're alright! I've been in class for most of today and didn't see the news until I came home... Fortunately, I checked my email at the same time so I didn't freak out for very long. India sounds amazing beyond the riots/violence/terrifying stuff... erm, right. Berkeley's alright; it's not really the same without everyone around, but no worries. I miss you! Unfortunately, I have to run off to work now, but I just wanted to let you know all that. I'll be in touch some more if I can figure out this site some more. :) Stay safe!
Post a Comment
<< Home